Rancho Mirage & Palm Springs desert area
Palm Springs, California, is well known for its historical celebrity residents and visitors dating back to the 1930’s. Palm Springs is located at the foot of the majestic San Jacinto mountain range, which towers from the surrounding desert floor to an elevation of more than 8,500 feet. Throughout the years Palm Springs visitors have developed an appreciation for the excellent weather and the various activities offered throughout the region like golf, tennis, and hiking.
In recent decades more and more visitors have decided to call the area home, even if it’s only part-time. New communities have been developed east of Palm Springs along the Highway 111 corridor to accommodate the significant growth. The Palm Springs region now includes the cities of Palm Springs, Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, La Quinta, Indio and Desert Hot Springs.
Full-time residents in the Palm Springs region approximate 450,000, but the population increases to about 600,000 during the winter and spring months. This is when part-time residents, also referred to as ‘snowbirds’, return to escape the rain, cold and wind.
Rancho Mirage is a resort city nestled between Cathedral City (next to Palm Springs) and Palm Desert. Population in the city has increased by about 5% since 2010 to an estimated 18,000 in 2014. Rancho Mirage benefits from its close proximity to the Palm Springs International Airport (about 10 miles), the I-10 Freeway (about 3 miles) and central location to numerous regional activities. The 130 acre Eisenhower Medical Center complex is located in Rancho Mirage within 1 mile of The S at Rancho Mirage and is the only not-for-profit hospital in the valley.
A trip to either the larger Los Angeles or San Diego metropolitan areas is a 2 to 3-hour drive depending on traffic.
A residence in Rancho Mirage or its surrounding nearby communities enables The S members to enjoy these benefits and various others offered throughout the region as highlighted below:
- Rancho Mirage Weather (Sperlings Best Places & MyWeather websites):
- Average annual rainfall: Less than 6 inches
- Average annual number of days with measurable precipitation: 17
- Average monthly daytime high time temperature range:
- November thru April: 70 to 88 degrees
May thru October: Over 88 degrees
- Annual sunny days: 270
- Average annual afternoon relative humidity Index: 25% (compare that to 62%, the annual average for Miami, Florida)
- Rancho Mirage Real Estate (Multiple Listing Service):
- Median November 2015 Home/Condo Cost: $527,500
- Home/condo appreciation November 2014 thru November 2015: 6%
- Home/condo 5-year appreciation November 2010 thru November 2015: 11%
- January thru April monthly 4 bedroom house/condo rent range: $3,000 to $6,000
- Nonstop U.S flights to/from Palm Springs International Airport (Service on many routes are seasonal and may be limited to select days of the week).
- New York City, New York
- Chicago, Illinois
- Denver, Colorado
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Houston, Texas
- Dallas, Texas
- Portland, Oregon
- Seattle, Washington
- Bellingham, Washington
- San Francisco, California
- Los Angeles, California
- Vancouver, British Columbia
Additional flight options are available to/from regional airports that are 1.5 to 3 hours driving including Los Angeles International airport, Ontario, Long Beach & Santa Ana.
- Activities in the region:
- The Annenberg Retreat at Sunnylands Tours, 200-acre former estate of Walter & Lenore Annenberg (scheduled tours in Rancho Mirage)
- College of the Desert Street Fair (weekends in Palm Desert)
- Shows & theater at the McCallum Theater (Palm Desert)
- Shopping on El Paseo Drive (Palm Desert) & Cabazon Outlet Mall (Cabazon)
- Palm Springs Street Fair (weekly evening event in Palm Springs)
- Air Museum at Palm Springs Airport (Palm Springs)
- Palm Springs International Film Festival (Annually in Palm Springs)
- Modernism Week (Annually in Palm Springs)
- Tram for hiking, sightseeing and/or dinner to top of San Jacinto Mountain (Palm Springs)
- CareerBuilder Challenge PGA Golf Tournament (Annually in La Quinta)
- The ANA Inspiration LPGA Tournament (Annually in Rancho Mirage)
- La Quinta Arts Festival (Annually in La Quinta)
- Music Festivals: Coachella, Stagecoach (Separate annual events in La Quinta)
- BNP Paribas Tennis Tournament (Annually in Indian Wells)
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Hiking / Biking trails throughout the region
- Dinner, shows & gaming at various casinos throughout the area
- Easy driving access to various other regional attractions in Southern California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona & Mexico including Disneyland, Sea World, Lego Land, Las Vegas